The Lexington Herald-Leader traces its origins to October 1870, with the establishment of the Lexington Daily Press. In January 1895, the Press was consolidated with the Lexington Transcript, and the combined paper was later called the Morning Herald. In 1905, it became the Lexington Herald. The Kentucky Leader was started in May 1888. The name was changed to the Daily Leader in 1895 and to the Lexington Leader in 1901. In August 1937, John G. Stoll, editor and publisher of the Leader, bought the Herald. Both were then printed at the same plant, had a combined Sunday edition, and continued the respective editorial policies of the Republican Leader and the Democratic Herald. Knight Newspapers, Inc. (now Knight-Ridder) purchased the Herald-Leader Co. in 1973. In 1983, the afternoon Leader was merged with the morning Herald to form the daily Lexington Herald-Leader. Since 2006, it has been owned by The McClatchy Company. The Lexington Public Library has a complete run of the Herald-Leader from the Sunday papers beginning in 1937 through the daily paper beginning in 1983.